Blog Intro

The highs, lows, and life metaphors of training for a marathon to support the Little Prinz Children's Aid Project.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Training Updates for Fellow Runners

Quick non-philosophical rundown on how training is going:

Knee pain kicked in two weeks ago.  I was forced to terminate a short, easy run when I felt the pain that I knew was not a typical ache, but a more serious inflammation of my patellar tendon.  I felt it again for most of my long run that Saturday, but I made it through 16 very slow miles.  I spent most of this last week not running.  I replaced each run with swimming, elliptical, or cycling.  I bought some foam rollers and started rolling out my leg muscles at least twice a day.  If you've never tried foam rollers before, do it now.  They hurt so bad that I kind of want to cry while I roll my quads, and I make a lot of painful noises.  Afterward, I feel like a new runner.

On Thursday I broke my running hiatus for my March time-trial.  I went from 7:19:04 on February 1st to 7:13:99 on March 1st.  I know I can do much better next month.  Most of my celebrating afterward was because I felt zero pain in my knee during the trial.

Yesterday I polished off my 14 mile long run.  I started out feeling amazing, probably from the combination of extra foam rolling, stretching, and rest.  I made a rookie mistake and took this as a chance to go way too fast for the first 7 miles.  I made it through the first 10 miles at a pace of 8:10 per mile, and then started to fall apart.  I was walk-running by the last mile.

This week I'm going to continue foam rolling and try to return to my usual running schedule at a controlled, slow pace.  Next Saturday I'm scheduled to run 18 miles.  My goal is to begin at a 10 minute pace and finish at 8:30 or 9.  I am also trying to workout some hydration issues.  Suggestions are very much welcome!  I have been drinking about 10 ounces of gatorade mixed with two scoops of Vitargo S2 for every 16 miles.  I down one caffeinated GU at mile 10 or 11.  Afterward I get really burpy and have some pretty bad stomach cramps, but I feel like I have an unquenchable thirst from mile 10 on.  I just can't get my hydration figured out!  Also, I don't really like GU.  The texture usually gags me.  Does anyone have any gel alternatives that they like?  Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment