Blog Intro

The highs, lows, and life metaphors of training for a marathon to support the Little Prinz Children's Aid Project.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Hydration Chest: I unlocked it!

Many of you know that I have been battling some major hydration issues during this training season.  I tried everything, and I just couldn't seem to get it right.  I often drank so much that I felt nauseous but still incredibly thirsty.  I was suffering from indigestion, and this delirious, dizzy feeling that left me feeling utterly drained by the end of each long run.  Well I think I've just about worked out my perfect combination.  I should point out here that, unfortunately, this combination is always completely different for each person.

Pre-run: Vespa!  This is an amazing amino acid supplement in liquid form.  You gulp down a little packet of it and you are promised improved, long-lasting mental clarity.  The amino acid formula is supposed to initiate the utilization of fat, a much more efficient source of energy, instead of glucose.  I've had blood sugar problems all of my life.  My mother and sister suffer from hypoglycemia as well, so I can't believe I hadn't considered that the problems I've been having are related to the way that my body metabolizes sugar far to fast.  I take a gel, it rushes to my bloodstream, gives me an instant high, and then crashes my entire energy stores within 20 minutes.

Pre and during run: Powerade Zero  Apparently all of the gatorade that I was drinking was doing bad things to my energy stability and digestion as well.  Powerade Zero is loaded with sodium, potassium, and electrolytes, but sugar and carbohydrate free.  It keeps me hydrated without the sloshing feeling or the extreme highs and lows.

During Run:  I take one Clif Block (Extra Salt, Caffeine-free) every 7 miles.  If my stomach is starting to hurt or cramp, this seems to calm it down quickly.  I carry two 10 oz bottles on my awesome hydration belt.  The first bottle is full of Powerade Zero, and I drink that within the first 7 miles.  Next I polish off a bottle of Vitargo S2, which gives me a more constant supply of carbohydrates to sip away at.  I station two 20 oz bottles of Powerade Zero along the rest of my route, so that as I empty these first two bottles on my belt, I can refill them with as much Powerade Zero as needed to finish the run.

Post Run: I keep a Nu Go Protein Bar (Dark Chocolate Pomegranate is my favorite) in my car and down one on the drive home from a long run.  This makes sure that my body has the protein that it needs for instant recovery and muscle building as soon as I finish a run.

And in the end... I felt great!  This was the first time ever that I caught myself grinning during mile 17 of a 20 mile run.  Next week I will be repeating this scenario for the IU Mini Marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment